Foo Fighters and Singapore

 

Around mid-January, I found out that Foo Fighters was going to have a concert in Singapore. I love that band to bits so even though I already had an upcoming trip to Hong Kong in February and another one in planned in April, I booked round trip plane tickets to the land of sanitized tourism and bought a ticket for the concert within twenty-four hours of finding out about the show---credit card limit be damned!

I prepared for the concert: I played their songs on loop on my mp3 player to make sure that I could sing along to everything; I joined Facebook groups devoted to the concert; I bought a Foo shirt; I planned everything. 

And then the Universe decided to be mean and cancel the concert.



Yup, one week before it was to be held, I saw a Twitter feed saying the concert has been cancelled. I checked out the organizer's site and there it was, the press release saying that the show will no longer push through because of Dave's condition. Is it overly dramatic if I say that I died a little that day?

I would have wanted nothing more but to cancel my trip and just curl up in my bed and cry, but since arrangements had already been made, I decided to push through with it (plus, my friends who were either going with me or meeting me there would kill me if I ruined their plans by being a baby).

To lessen the pain of having my dream of seeing Dave and the boys crushed, my Singapore-based friends decided to be the best tour guides ever by feeding me great food, showing me where I could buy super cheap chocolates and taking me to the Singapore Zoo, the Durian, the Marina and all the places I wasn't able to visit when I first visited the country in September to watch the Formula One Grand Prix.

Here are some highlights of the trip:

1. Seeing white tigers, pygmy hippos and penguins in the Singapore zoo.
2. Riding an elephant (I did not know you could do this outside of Thailand. hehe)
3. Seeing the Durian up close.
4.  Eating an ice cream sandwich.
5. The Night Safari.
6. Drinking milk tea inside the Marina Bay Sands.
7. Shopping in Bugis Village.
8. Seeing the well-preserved shophouses of Geylang.

The trip was fantastic and I had a great time with my friends, but still, I'd trade all of that for the chance to see the Foo Fighters perform Everlong live.










lovely Geylang



Comments