Quiet Brunei

I went to Brunei recently and there, I saw what I could only describe as one of the oddest scenes I have ever seen in my life:

Upon the advice of the cab driver who's been chauffeuring us around for the past two days, we took the riverside route from the Gadong market back to our hotel. We passed by this outdoor restaurant with a huge screen and about 30 or so tables scattered around. The restaurant was filled, with maybe at least 3 people at each table, and it was quiet as hell. Seriously. People were just sitting around drinking what I guess were fruit juice (Brunei is a country that follows the Sharia, after all). We didn't know if they became quiet after they saw us foreigners approaching them or if they were like that from the beginning. I'm guessing that's how they really hang-out because the city itself was pretty quiet.

Still, I liked Brunei. Even though my friends and I are used to ending the day with a bit (or a lot. It depends on our budget. haha) of a drink whenever we travel, we really didn't mind coming back to our hotel room by 8 (or earlier).

Also, seeing the Sultan Omar mosque at dusk alone was already worth the trip.







water village










Comments