Peace and Beauty in Hiroshima

the Atomic Bomb Dome



I guess it says much about how I have grown to love Japan when the first out-of-the-country trip I make after coming home is to Japan. The country's lure was just too much for me to resist.

One of the reasons why I found myself making my way back to this country was because I wanted to visit Hiroshima. I never got to see the place when I was there and I thought that was simply wrong considering how big of a history nerd I am.

So when my uncle asked me if I wanted to go to Japan, I of course said "yes" then immediately told him that we should include Hiroshima in our itinerary.


Ours was a short but packed visit. I found that there are many things worth remembering about Hiroshima---the lovely river that runs through the city, the melancholic but serene feeling you experience when walking in the Peace Memorial Park, the eerily beautiful Atomic Bomb Dome, the floating shrine in Miyajima, the mouthwatering oysters, the lovely fall foliage---but I think what I will remember my whole life was this bicycle and helmet:


 

This bike and helmet were owned by 3-year-old Shinichi Tetsutani who died from the atomic bomb dropped in Hiroshima. His father thought that Shinichi was too young to be left in a lonely grave away from home so he buried his son in their backyard. He also buried these two with his boy because he thought Shinichi, who was always riding this bike, would still want to "ride" his bike. I don't think I've ever seen anything more heartbreaking.




 

the Peace Memorial Park as seen from inside the Peace Museum

Miyajima

Before praying
early fall

You cannot leave Hiroshima without a picture of this Tori



Comments