Driving in U-do

 




Fortune favors the brave, and this was apparent in the trip I took to Jeju's Udo a few years back.


Since this was a solo journey to a place that isn't particularly known for always having readily available transportation, this was one of the few trips where I actually diligently did my research before going. As adventurous as I am, I didn't think winging it would be a good idea when there's a very real possibility of getting stuck in the island because you missed the boat going home. 


One of the information I picked up from my research was that those who want to go around the island have three choices: bike, bus, motorcycle.


Riding a bike wasn't really an option since I didn't know how flat or hilly the area would be and I didn't really welcome the idea of dragging a bike up a hill on a hot Korean summer day. Joining a bus tour seemed comfortable, but I wanted to have greater control over my time and movement since taking pictures was a priority for me. Renting a motorcycle seemed like the best option but unfortunately, the blogs I read about Udo said you either have to have a Korean or international driver's license to rent one. 

I had neither, so I was resigned to taking the comfortable but boring option of joining a tour. 

As I made my way to where the tour buses were after getting off the ferry, I saw the motorcycle rental shop. I don't know what came over me but I thought, "It wouldn't hurt to try" and just made a U-turn to where the motorcycles were parked. I went to the reception and asked the girl manning it if I could rent a scooter. She asked if I had a license and I gingerly handed over my Philippine driver's license. She then showed this to the guy beside her, who I'm assuming was the owner.

I don't know if the blogs I read were wrong, or if there are special exemptions for Filipinos because we drive on the same side of the road, or if he could sense my desperation, but he looked at my ID  and quickly said "Philippines, ok."

And that's how I came to be the only foreigner riding a scooter in Udo that day.








I got lost. As usual.


Comments