Love Lost





Imagine falling in love at first sight. You become so enamored that even though you're only together for a short while, you end up spending your days and nights thinking about him, wondering if and when you'll see him again.

Then imagine seeing him again years later, and having your heart broken because he's changed.

That's what happened to me and Calaguas.



I visited the island a few years back and immediately fell in love with it. Anyone unwise enough to ask me about the island is forced to listen to me excitedly describe its long shoreline, powdery white sand, and warm turquoise water. "And best of all," I would normally add before I finish, "not a lot of people go there because it's just too far."

Well that was then.

The quiet and serene Calaguas I know is gone now. It's become riddled with boatloads of tourists, many of whom unfortunately think it's a good idea to blast out terrible music from cheap speakers from early morning until late night.

It was a Saturday so I was expecting it to be a little bit more crowded than my first visit, when my friends and I virtually had the entire island to ourselves. But I didn't expect that my peace and relaxation in the water would be interrupted every five minutes by boatmen asking us to move out of the way so they could dock their boats and unload another batch of tourists. This happened about three to four times, or until we just gave up and asked our boat man to take us to another island, somewhere where we could actually swim in peace.

I guess it was inevitable. A beach as beautiful as this could not remain a secret forever. Still, I can't help but mourn this love I've lost.













yes, you can even buy isaw in the island now

Comments