Things To Do Before I Die, No. 17: Visit the Angkor Wat



on top of the Angkor Wat


Last summer I went on a backpacking trip with 5 of my equally restless friends that saw us wandering about and laughing our heads off in Ho Chi Minh, Phnom Penh  and Siem Reap.

This trip was originally set to happen last 2010, but work (specifically, the 2010 Presidential Election Canvassing) and the unrest in Bangkok (we were supposed to take the Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam route)---got in the way. This time, I told myself---and my travel buddies---that whatever happens, even if it means I have to go alone, this trip will push through.


Luckily, the trip went on as planned.(Whew! Truth is, I am scared shit of traveling alone. Also, the trip would have caused me two times more if I did).

Let me talk about the Siem Reap part of our trip first.



I first heard about Siem Reap in college, during my Southeast Asian history class. Listening to my professor (hello, Dr. Boncan!) regal us with stories about its history and the architectural marvel that is the Angkor Wat, I decided that I just had to go visit this place. In fact, "Visit the Angkor Wat" is Number 17 on my Things To Do Before I Die List.

The Angkor Wat, and the other temples in the Angkor Thom, is really everything others say it is: majestic, grand and awe-inspiring. One odd thing I noticed was how, despite how many people were there (and there were a lot), the top of the Angkor Wat was surprisingly calm and quiet. It didn't feel like an ordinary tourist spot, but a proper place of worship.

One tip: to truly appreciate the rich history of the place, you HAVE to get a guide. For $25 dollars (regardless of how many of you there are in the group), you'll get a comprehensive lecture on the ancient history of Siem Reap and the temples.


The Angkor Wat



Eerie Ta Phrom 




My first glimpse of the Angkor Wat


Bayon Thom



 P.S.

We stayed at the Bou Savvy. Rooms cost $21 a night for 3 people, including breakfast.




Comments