Because you can't always get what you want

When I went to Jeju last year, one of the things on my to-do list was to climb up the island's Seongsan Ilchulbong, Sunrise Peak. It's a tuff cone that's been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the new Natural Wonders of the World. It is, basically, the representative site of Jeju Island.

As I've said before, I'm not really a fan of hiking, but I decided to climb up this mountain because I wanted to see its famous crater, with its deep slope and wonderfully lush color. 



On the day I was scheduled to climb up the mountain, it was drizzling, the sky was grey cast, cloudy, and the weather was just all around gloomy. When I got to the base I already saw that it was foggy, but I still continued my climb, swept by the crowd, hoping that it wouldn't be so foggy at the peak. Maybe I'd still see what I came for, I thought. Of course I didn't. There was nothing but white clouds up there.

It was the only time during my entire stay in the island that the weather wasn't bright and sunny. There's no other explanation for it except that the Universe was trying to tell me, "Sorry, but you can't always get what you want."



view from the top: nothing, you'll see nothing
















Comments