Train Ride to Tottori

Tottori Sakyu (sand dunes)






I don't exactly know when or how I found out about Tottori's sand dunes, I just remember being enthralled by a photo of the place and vowing to go there.

It was a good decision.



The Tottori trip put me on the longest train ride of my life. I couldn't really count the number of hours it took me to travel from Tokyo to Tottori since I didn't go straight to the prefecture but passed by Hyogo to see the Takeda Castle and eat kobe beef in Kobe, but traveling from Tottori to Tokyo took me, if I remember it right, 14 hours, non-stop. I told you, it was a long ride.


A friend told me she couldn't do what I did---travel alone and take a really long train ride. It's not because she could not endure a 14-hour train ride but because she would not last not talking to anyone for 14 hours. Haha. Unlike my friend, I enjoyed not having to talk with anyone. I love quiet moments as much as I do those that I spend talking with people. I guess I'm just weird like that.

Anyway, I loved every bit of the trip. Using the local trains gave me a chance to really see the Japanese countryside. The sand dunes themselves were particularly breathtaking. My favorite part of the trip was climbing up one of the sand dunes then sitting on top while looking out at the sea. I must have spent at least thirty minutes there doing nothing but stare out the ocean. It was a good chance to clear my head.

I was also surprised by how much there is to see in the place. I didn't really do much research for this trip as I only really wanted to see the sand dunes. The only information I had came from my professor who said that the only thing to see in the area are the sand dunes. He was wrong.


selfie


Jinpukaku Mansion







can you see the tori?


I forgot the name of this waterfall. haha


Comments