Korube Gorge, Toyama


I spent my last night in Japan having dinner with a Japanese friend. Inevitably, we ended up talking about my travels in his home country. He asked me what my 3 most favourite spots in Japan are. I said Hokkaido for the Yuki Matsuri (which I promise to write about soon); Kyoto during spring (I will write about that too); the Hitachi Seaside Park because of its blue, nemophilia-covered hills; and, ignoring the fact that he only asked me for three, the Korube Gorge in Toyama.



The guy thanked me for mentioning Toyama because that is his hometown. I said Toyama not to flatter him or anything though. The Korube Gorge just truly, truly captured my heart. It was absolutely breath-taking. The colourful bridges, the turquoise river that runs through the gorge, the lush mountains---all these come together to make up one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen in my life.  The fact that I was taking these all in while riding a slow-moving, small antique train made everything a lot more enjoyable too.

So if you are reading this, friend, please know that I meant every word I said that night.














Comments